Thursday 17 May 2012

Hands Failure

So like before with my old woman character, I wanted to try using latex again for the hands, not so much the feet though as I wanted them rather solid, diamond type shapes. Just to side track a little for the moment, whilst talking about the feet, the woman's are made entirely of Milliput and don't move at all, except at the ankles. The man's are made of Milliput too but in two parts so that they bend in the middle, the feet are then padded in between with some foam and painted over.
Okay, back to the hands, so I was going to use latex and go through the long laborious task of making plaster casts and such again but I thought to myself "I just don't have the time". Instead I decided to try painting over the maquette's hands with my trusty pot of latex. 


I'd tested doing it on the last project and it worked fine. After quite a while of layering up these hands with thin amounts of latex I waited for them to dry. They turned out fine, well apart from the colour that is. After over 4 attempts I gave up. I wanted them to come out as white as the character's faces but that didn't happen.


They came out too skin toned, so just like with the woman's arms I decided to just wrap over the padding with masking tape and paint it white. Not the most technical I know but with little time and the hope that once edited it would look okay I powered on.

No comments:

Post a Comment