Thursday 17 May 2012

Pizza Box Set

My budget on this production has been as tight as you can get. This is due to me having far less money then I would be comfortable with. I think though, and this is just my opinion, that even without spending shed loads on production and building I've come out with some pretty good results.
Bearing in mind that I have virtually no money to spend on building I've been lucky enough to beg, borrow and steal everything that I need for the set. My set consists of one room, the woman's bedroom, and is meant to be done in a very surrealist way; sort of like in the silent movie Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.


I started my set build by first setting out and building the structure of the room using cardboard boxes, and even old pizza boxes when I'd run out of cardboard. It was difficult to get the angles I wanted to start off with but with a hefty amount of tape and super glue I was able to get the look I wanted.



When I was happy with how the walls and such looked I went about making the doors and adding other details before painting the set in a very monotone colour scheme. I'm actually really pleased with how it came out considering all the effort and time I put into building it.



And here is the final thing in colour (or should I say black and white?). In all honesty I don't think it looks that great but with the right lighting and angles it should hopefully look quite spooky.


I only have one main prop for the bedroom, I would have liked to add more but time was not really on my side. The woman's bed was the last thing that I needed to make and I was lucky enough to find and borrow some wood for the bed's structure. When I had built the outline of the bed I padded the sides out with some foam and painted it in a way that would match the room. As soon as all that was done I just needed to cover the bed. I still had some material left from the woman's clothes so used that as the bedding by sewing and gluing it into place.



I also decided to add a clock at the start, essentially just to add more time to the piece (ahh there's a joke in there somewhere!). I drew a clock face onto some paper and decorated it accordingly then glued the image to a circular piece of wood. I then made little wooden clock hands and pinned them into place.


No comments:

Post a Comment