Friday 3 May 2013

Building the Hut

For something that's going in the background of the set, a lot of work has gone in to this hut! I made the door slightly smaller than the actual fisherman puppet, as I thought it would be far enough in the background for you not to notice but I was wrong and it has to be the only thing I don't like about the hut - I've never liked something I've built so much! 

Anyway, to build it I used some big, relatively thick sheets of card to build the structure and then cut out strips of balsa wood to make a door and window, which I then glued on. When that was done, I used hundreds of lollipop sticks to cover the walls to look like panels of wood. Once the walls were all done I could then work out the size that the roof needed to be.


I was going to cover the roof in lollipop sticks as well but then I had the idea of using tiles of balsa wood instead. I only covered the front of the roof fully as that would be the only part on show. I really like the effect it gives and I'm pretty glad I chose to do this rather than the lollipop sticks!


I then painted the whole thing, making sure I used a variety of brown tones on the walls so it didn't look too bland. When that was all done I fixed all the walls together using brackets and glue!


I painted the roof red, as I thought it gave a better aesthetic look, and added extra detailing down the sides of the hut and on the roof.


I added some extra details to the hut such as the curtains and the lamp and the hut was done! And here it is, the final look of the hut!


Thanks for taking a look! More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment