Tuesday 30 April 2013

Props and Set pt three

I'm just going to talk through one prop today, and though there isn't much that has gone into its build, skills-wise, I just want to show you all the little details involved in it.

The Cereal Box
To make my 'Catch of the Day!' cereal box I first decided to make the structure out of some card that I had lying around, but I found it was too floppy and not strong enough to keep its shape once I'd painted onto it with my watercolours. I then thought of doubling up the card to make it stronger but it just gave the same kind of outcome. Then I thought to myself 'Hmm I wonder what material I could use that would make a great cereal box structure?' and after moments of pondering I came to the conclusion that an actual cereal box would make the best option. I know what you're thinking: 'Charlotte, stroke of genius right there, never would've thought of that!'. Thanks! I do try haha!


So I got my cereal box - making sure I'd taken out the actual cereal out first of course! - and cut out the net shape of a cereal box so that I could fold it all together when I was done decorating it. This is my first attempt as when I test folded it together it didn't sit too well so I decided to make another. I used the net shape, that I wasn't going to use for my cereal box, to rough out my design onto to see if it all fit nicely and didn't look too squished together on the box.


I painted the new/ better net shape white, using acrylic paint, so that it would give a better surface to work with and would make all the other colours stand out much nicer. I painted a few layers of white as the brown cardboard seeped through a little after the first layer. When that was all done I then lightly drew out my design onto the box, and when I was happy with how it looked I went about painting it using watercolours this time. Once the whole box was painted and dry I drew on details and outlines using a fine black pen.


When that was all done I glued it all together, apart from the flap at the top as I wanted that to open and close.




Just for an added bit of detail I cut out tiny little fish shapes, out of white card, and crushed up a Ginger Nut Biscuit, then mixed them up together in a little plastic pouch (with a resealable top) that was the perfect size for the cereal box. This would then be the cereal in the box! And because I'd left the top flap of the box unglued I could easily put the cereal inside the box and close it up no problem!


Thanks for taking a look! I hope you liked my little cereal box and cereal! More on props and set to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment