Thursday 18 April 2013

Building the Head

I've currently got the whole head finished, and the entire puppet to be honest, but I'm only just getting around to posting about it - naughty!

Okay, so I started off by making eye sockets - I just pushed the beads I was going to use as eyes into a slab of Fimo, that I cut to shape and then baked it. For this head I'm making it in a very different way to how I've previously made heads so there has been a lot of trial and error on the way. I ended up making 2 eye sockets as I had put the eyes too far apart. To check how the face would look I made quick sculpts of the face onto the sockets using Plasticine. I then made some paper moustache/ eyebrows/ sideburns and stuck them on because the face looked creepy without them!



I then glued my chosen eye socket onto a piece of polystyrene that I'd carved to roughly the shape of the character's skull. Shoving a long piece of K&S in it so it would fix to the neck joint and it was ready to go. I then went about sculpting the face directly onto the skull, using Fimo, which by all accounts was a completely stupid thing to do and I'll tell you for why - 1. you can't easily peel the face off, even with lots of Vaseline underneath, without it loosing its shape and 2. the Fimo I used needs to be baked, this means putting the whole thing in the oven! Looking back, I can see how silly it was to think putting polystyrene in the oven and having it come out unscathed was (then again it was the middle of the night when I did this so no judgments here please?!)


And here is the result: a shrunken, mess of a skull and a cracked face, that only just came off! You'll be pleased to know I did a better job on the actual thing though.


I then went about the build a little differently, especially after researching into better techniques and things. Luckily, I was able to salvage the eye sockets, so that was then glued onto a new skull shaped piece of polystyrene (don't worry, I knew what I was doing this time!). I then added Ultra Light Sculpy to the head to give a better shape and hold the eye socket on place more firmly. This Sculpy (green was the only colour I had in case you're wondering) is air drying so I didn't need to risk another oven fiasco! 


When the whole head was dry I then made a "mask" on top of the front of the face - with the eyes in place - using Miliput (also air drying!!). I put a load of Vaseline on the head before I sculpted though, which is a very handy thing to do if you want the face to come off. The mask didn't need to be neat but I had to make it the right size and shape that I wanted the removable face to be. When it was dry I could then sculpt onto it quite easily and pop it in the oven no problem!


I sculpted the back of the head straight onto the skull, as it didn't need to be replaceable. To do this I used air drying Fimo clay then shoved the ears from my previous sculpt on top. I then added magnets to both the skull and "face mask" so that they would fix together more securely.


 Here is the head looking rather eerie without any eyes! 

I then went about painting all the parts of the head, trying to match the colour of the hands as best I could. I'm pretty pleased with how it's turned out and as I'm not doing any replaceable mouths for this character - he doesn't talk and all his expression comes from his eyes/ eyebrows/ 'tache anyway - I tried to make it as simple yet striking as I could.



And here he is! Well, minus his hair/ brows/ sideburns/ real 'tache and other key parts, but who cares aye?! 
I'll be posting images of how the final head looks when I get round to doing one on his clothes, so don't you worry your cotton socks about it.

Thanks for taking a gander anyway, and hopefully soon I'll get around to posting his final look, along with the seagull!

No comments:

Post a Comment