Wednesday 6 February 2013

Artists to the Rescue!

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No! It's my re-imagining of school children's drawings (yes I did just write that). Moving swiftly on. I'm roughly in the middle/ toward the end of my design work for my final ever uni piece of work, pictures soon to come, but in the meantime I was given a little brief to have a go at alongside my major brief, that would count towards my collaboration work. 
The children of St Gwladys primary school in Bargoed were set a drawing competition to design a super hero; the winning designs were going to be transformed into final colour character concepts for animation by the students on my course. Exciting stuff to say the least. We picked two characters at random then had roughly a week to draw them out. Now, I'm not the best when it comes to using computer software, mainly because with my work I have hardly any need for it, so I decided to go down the route of drawing them out by hand and painting them using watercolours (my paint of choice at the moment). 

So here is the first one of the children's superhero drawings:


and this is my version:


Here is the second of the children's drawings:


and this is my version:


They're not the best and compared to some of the designs I've seen from other people doing the project, they don't look as professional (sob sob!). However, with the tiny amount of time I spent on them what with all my other work, and my lack of Photoshop use, I'm pretty pleased with them. 

With more time I'm sure they could look much nicer but to say I didn't have fun whilst doing it wouldn't be true. It was so much fun, so much so that my boyfriend even had a go at drawing them (though I don't think he'd be pleased if I put his drawing up). I highly recommend having a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment